Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Eat Like a Caveman?!

So...a lot of you have probably heard me talk about eating Paleo. Or maybe you've heard of a friend that eats Paleo. Or maybe you've seen Paleo recipes on Pinterest. Or, maybe even still, you've never heard of Paleo. Well, I'm going to attempt to explain Paleo (the easy way) to everyone.  I absolutely do NOT claim to know everything, nor do I eat 100% clean all the time...but I hope this sheds some light on making healthy eating a lifestyle and takes you away from the constant yo-yo that diets can cause. Everything I say, I believe in because I've experienced results first-hand.

When I started my crossfit journey over two years ago I ate whatever I wanted. I was never out of shape before crossfit...hell, if anything I was in shape compared to lots of people. Before crossfit I ran 20-30 miles a week, did 4-5 "cardio" based classes at the YMCA and did light weight lifting. But I had the "workout really hard, eat whatever I wanted" attitude. Some of my favorite foods: goldfish, chips and cheese dip, pizza, chocolate anything, vanilla pudding, granola with yogurt, Panera bagels and Chick-fil-A fries. It was about 7 months into crossfitting that I participated in a Paleo challenge. This challenge completely changed my entire life and the way I look at food! For 30 days I ate strict Paleo: lean meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar/dairy/gluten/alcohol. Since switching to (on average) a 90-95% Paleo lifestyle I've dropped 20 lbs, lost over 10% body fat, dropped 6 dress sizes, and I'm in better shape now than I was as a college athlete.

So...let's first talk about the foods that make us less healthy. To be fair, it's not that there is nothing good to be found here - sure, grains contain some fiber and dairy has calcium. BUT in general, there is nothing that you could get from these foods that can't be found in high quality meats, vegetables, fruits and healthy fat sources...without the significant metabolic and inflammatory downsides that come with these "less healthy" food groups.

1) SUGAR: Processed sugars in your diet to NOT make you healthier...but you already knew that. Added sugars lead to large rises in blood sugar, and require your body to secrete large amounts of insulin to keep your blood sugar in a healthy range. These high levels are inflammatory in the body and promote disorders like insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity. They do not contain vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that help in overall health - they are EMPTY calories.

2) PROCESSED FOOD: They are less nutritious and more calorie-dense than their fresh, natural counterparts. Most processed foods are concentrated carbohydrate sources and are heavily salted with lots of added fat to appeal to your taste buds. Food should be fresh and it should LOOK like the plant or animal it came from. Anything that has been in your pantry or fridge for 6 months is NOT food and should be avoided. Tip - shop the perimeter of the grocery store.

3) ALCOHOL: Alcohol like sugar doesn't MAKE you healthy. It is neurotoxic, hence why your brain doesn't work quite right after a few drinks. It is a very concentrated source of calories but contains no real "nutrition" at all.

4) GRAINS: Grains and grain-like seeds (wheat, oats, barley, corn, rice, quinoa, etc) are carbohydrate-dense and nutrient-poor and promote chronically elevated insulin levels. Ever heard of hyperinsulinism?! They also have inflammatory components called "lectins" that cause damage to your intestinal lining, cause an imbalance of gut bacteria and provoke systemic inflammation. The inflammation that starts in your gut (think...bloated belly after a HUGE pasta meal)  "travels" throughout the body, can improperly cross your intestinal lining and go EVERYWHERE your bloodstream goes! This can lead to asthma, allergies, skin conditions, fertility issues, migraines and joint pain.

5) LEGUMES: Legumes (beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts) have similar issues as those with grains. They contain anti-nutrients that can't be completely neutralized by usual preparation methods of prolonged soaking and rinsing, cooking and fermenting. These anti-nutrients rob the body of valuable minerals and could even cause damage to your intestinal lining. Ever heard of the term "leaky gut"?! It's just gross...that is all I have to say about that.

6) DAIRY: Dairy contains factors designed to help little mammals grow fast. BUT the growth factors found in milk and milk products, along with some immune factors and inflammatory proteins, don't do our adult bodies good. The carbohydrate portion of milk (lactose) together with milk proteins produce a surprisingly high insulin response, which is inflammatory in our bodies and promotes disorders like obesity and diabetes. High levels of insulin promote unregulated cell growth. These dairy proteins (especially casein proteins - found in cheese) have been associated with increased risk of autoimmune diseases.

So....what CAN I eat?

First, base your meals around healthy, high quality protein sources. These are things you're probably already eating like beef, chicken, fish, pork and eggs. Then, you'll swap your sides of pasta, rice and bread in favor of nutrient-dense vegetables and fruit. These give you crucial vitamins, minerals and fiber you need to keep healthy - even calcium! In addition, vegetables and fruit provide you with all the carbohydrates you'll need to perform high intensity activity (I seriously eat sweet potatoes and root veggies - think squash family, whenever I need to "carb load".) While you'll get more nutrition with veggies and fruit, it leaves you with less calories. So where do you make up the difference? Healthy fat sources like avocado, olive oil, high quality animal fats and coconut. Your body will not function optimally without adequate dietary fat - your brain, hormones, immune system and digestion are all dependent on these fat sources. Fat is also very satiating. When you eat fat, it sends a signal to your brain that you're full. But Chelsey, doesn't fat make you FAT? Nope. Believe it or not...most of the excess fat we carry on our bodies does not come from excess fat consumption, but rather from eating too many sweet and starches. Bye bye goldfish and pizza.

I believe that a good nutritional program should be centered around eating real food. I know that fad diets, crash diets, miracle pills and "meal replacements" are not part of a balanced, sustainable path towards improved health and fitness. You shouldn't count calories, weight or measure - in fact, I discourage that. Plain and simple: eat lean meats, vegetables, some fruit, little starch and no sugar and you'll see the tangible benefits that come from a nutritional plan designed to optimize your metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation and have you looking, feeling and performing your best.

I admit...this does require quite a bit of effort...but just at first. In the beginning of becoming Paleo, you will have to re-think your "traditional" meal arrangements, figure out what to sub for the toast or rice or granola bar. And yes, you'll actually HAVE to cook. You cant subsist on eating ingredients (chicken, broccoli and avocado) for long before you get bored silly. But once you get the hang of it, you'll find making good food choices is actually quite easy. I literally, ask my boyfriend Chaz, will be cooking dinner already talking about what I plan to cook for breakfast. I LOVE to cook - and it has now become a true activity of mine.

The first week or two of eating Paleo will be tough, as your body heals and adjusts to this new way of eating and your brain wraps itself around going without all those sweet tastes and sugar-driven energy spikes. And while you may start to feel better after a week or two...the healing process takes significantly longer. In addition, the mental addiction and emotional connections to sugary foods, large amounts of carbohydrates and over-the-top, chemically altered flavors is going to take a lot longer to overcome. Stick with it and be patient with yourself. You cannot reasonable expect to completely reverse decades of poor eating habits in just 30 days...I'm STILL learning what works best for my body and I STILL play with quantities and recipes.

Here is my tough love - This is NOT hard, but requires effort. You never, ever, ever have to eat any thing you don't want to eat. Don't set yourself up to fail by scheduling "cheat days" or even "cheat meals" on a regular, recurring basis. The closer you get to 100% clean eating, the healthier you'll be, so spend your "off plan" meals, snacks or food choices on things that are SPECIAL. Just don't go overboard, and don't let your one "treat" turn into a weekend long free-for-all.

Sounds great Chelsey...now WHAT does your typical day's food intake look like?

I usually workout around 6:30am or 8am. After the WOD I have breakfast. 3 Eggs, cooked over medium. Served over spinach. I typically cook another veggie as a "side" dish...asparagus/peppers or broccoli. (I know...green with breakfast is weird AT FIRST - but you get use to it!!) And I usually have 2 pieces of bacon...not every day though. Around 11am I typically get hungry again. So I'll have almond butter and celery/or an apple OR sometimes I'll drink a protein shake - Loco Mocha Progenix is the jam. Lunch around 1pm. I almost always eat salads with protein for lunch OR leftovers from the night before. I have a snack around 3:30/4pm - this is something small like 1/2 a sweet potato or a protein shake (if I didn't have one earlier) or a handful or almonds (if I had a shake earlier) or 1/2 an avocado with turkey meat. Then I have dinner around 8:30pm. Dinner is ALWAYS a protein - steak is my favorite, but I loooove seafood too (good Omega-3's!!), and at least two veggies. Asparagus, mashed cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, squash, peppers, brussel sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, kale chips, turnip greens, sweet potato...the list is endless!! I also drink a TON of water throughout the day - at least 100 oz water. Our bodies are 80% water - we need to keep that balance, especially if we are sweating a lot in this 80-90 degree heat!!

Suggested reading...The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf .

Suggested cookbook: Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie Mayfield.

Also...blogs to check out for amazing recipes:
www.paleomg.com
www.elanaspantry.com
www.nomnompaleo.com
www.everydaypaleo.com

Questions/Comments for me about Paleo? Need help - it's obviously a soapbox of mine - I'd love to help anyone make this a LIFESTYLE for them!! Remember - eating should be FUN and enjoyable...not something that leaves you deprived, stressed or defeated. YOU can control what you eat and it can be DELICIOUS!!! I promise.

1 comment:

  1. www.theclothesmakethegirl.com has an AWESOME cookbook. I cook about once a week from it.

    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/

    ReplyDelete